Big Bend National Park

As I approached Big Bend National Park from the town of Marathon to the north, the scenery became more interesting.




My campsite turned out to be very nice, and it was located at the head of a nature trail that makes a scenic loop with a spur to the Rio Grande.



These photos from the Nature Trail include views of the surrounding area, the Rio Grande, and Mexico across the river.
















I saw these examples of big, small, and unusual RVs in the Rio Grande Village Campground.






One day I drove to the Santa Elena Canyon overlook, a beautiful 60+ miles, and went for a bike ride on Old Maverick Road, an unpaved route through the desert landscape.

Driving through the park in the morning:





And later in the day:


"The Mule Ears":



Views of the opening of Santa Elena Canyon where the Rio Grande has carved a very narrow gorge:



I stopped on my bike ride to check out Luna's Jacal:





It's quite a low structure, only about as high as my shoulders:



Another morning I went for a ride on River Road East before the heat of the day.  (It was in the mid 90's before I finished the ride).

Tunnel on the road from Rio Grande Village Campground and River Road East:

Shots taken along River Road East:




Approaching one of the primitive campsites along the Rio Grande:

A food locker to keep supplies safe from wildlife including javelinas and bears:

A spot to pitch your tent:

And views of the river and landscape from the campsite:



After the bike ride on River Road East I visited Mexico for lunch.  I hadn't been expecting that a stop in Mexico would be part of my trip, but there's a river crossing available to the little village of Boquillas Del Carmen from Big Bend National Park and I had my passport with me.



I paid $5 for a round trip crossing on the rowboat.  The Rio Grande is at a low enough level that it would be easy to wade across instead.

Horses, donkeys or pickup truck taxis are available to take you 1/2 mile from the crossing to Boquillas del Carmen, but I walked the road.

Shots of some buildings in town.  I had tacos for lunch at the restaurant in the orange building.




A view of residences below the commercial buildings in town:


Nobody here but us chickens...


On my last night at Big Bend there was a nice sunset! These photos were taken from the Nature Trail near my campsite.





























 

Comments

  1. What beautiful country! Gorgeous flowers, rivers, landscape. Your wonderful photography makes me feel like I am there. With the 5" of snow we received today (4-19) I wish I was there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful terrain and a great picture at the Santa Elena Canyon overlook. Seeing pictures of that jacal makes it hard to imagine someone, let alone a large family, living in that structure! And what a nice unexpected side trip to Mexico. Thanks for taking us along on your trip.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment