Gilmore Car Museum, Hickory Corners, Michigan. The largest car museum in the US!

 I stayed overnight near Kalamazoo, Michigan and when I looked for local attractions I ran across the Gilmore Car Museum which is the largest car museum in the US.

https://gilmorecarmuseum.org/





Photos below are from a variety of displays including Supercars, 20s /30s Gallery, 50s / 60s Gallery, Baum Gallery Muscle Cars, Franklin Museum featuring air cooled Franklin cars, Model A Ford Museum, Cadillac - LaSalle Museum, Lincoln Museum, Pierce - Arrow Museum, and Classic Car Club of America Museum.

Photos aren't in any particular order.
















































































































Comments

  1. Fascinating museum! I enjoyed all the photos. As I saw picture after picture of the old huge cars it made me wonder how many tons of steel are in the museum. I especially liked the yellow (I think) car with the pop-up back seat with it's own canvas cover. It wasn't clear from the pictures how one would get in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The car you liked is a 1930 Ford Model A Cabriolet. (A cabriolet was a carriage with a folding top that carried 2 people).  This car has a rumble seat with a rare "Tuxaway rumble seat top".  Rumble seat riders climbed in on the passenger side using steps by the rear bumper and on top of the fender.  It looks like the sides of the cover fasten with snaps. Riding in the covered rumble seat could have been claustrophobic!  There are small windows front & rear and on the sides. I doubt that the top kept all the elements out.

      Delete
  2. What an incredible display of cars with supporting backgrounds. It must take quit a team to keep the museum organized and all of the cars sparkling clean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ken, we loved the Frank Lloyd Wright house. I hope you can get to the Chicago Inst of Art and see the Seurat. it is my favorite painting in the world. ISSI registration opened last Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cars were fascinating!! I couldn't pick a favorite but I did take particular notice of the big yellow bus. Also the Superman jersey in the phone booth.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment