On to New Mexico: Deming, Rockhound State Park, White Sands National Park, and lunch in Mesilla

I stayed near Deming, New Mexico at Rockhound State Park.

While I was in town I visited the Deming Luna Mimbres Museum which takes up most of a city block.  They had a wonderful collection of Indian artwork including baskets, pottery, arrow heads, and much more.  I just took a few pictures of some Navajo rugs that were on display. There is also an extensive collection of early Deming history, and thousands of gem and mineral samples from the area.  The geodes in the following pictures are huge, you can see my feet in one of the photos for comparison!






This view from one of the trails by the RV sites at Rockhound State Park shows the surrounding scenery.  It's a beautiful, quiet place to stay.  The trails include many rocks (it's OK to take souvenirs home with you), and wildflowers in springtime.





Here are a few photos from a side trip to White Sands National Park.  I arrived about 9:30 the Saturday morning of Easter weekend and there were already a lot of folks at the visitors center and on their way out to drive through the gypsum dunes.  The last photo shows one of the picnic areas among the dunes.  Other spots were crowded and people drove even large RVs on the unpaved road so set up for the day.




I didn't see anyone bicycling the dunes loop, although I did see a rider on the interstate near White Sands National Park!


After touring the dunes I stopped at Mesilla, NM on the way back to Rockhound State Park and had lunch at ¡Andele! Restaurant that my cousin Mary had suggested.  The green enchiladas were delicious - a classic New Mexico dish!




Comments

  1. Looks like you are having great weather! Hope it continues. The rugs are impressive along with the sand dunes. The geodes do look huge! Very nice desert flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is some white sand! The museum looks so interesting too. I hope you found some good rocks for souvenirs. And it is always nice to have a recommendation for a good restaurant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The decor at the restaurant looks as good as you said the food tasted. Fun!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment