Tennessee

My travels through Tennessee didn't go quite as I had planned.  I spent more time at commercial tourist attractions in Tennessee than anywhere else so far.

I expected to stay at a campground in Smoky Mountain National Park, but didn't have a reservation and a suitable site wasn't available so I drove on to the town of Pigeon Forge and spent the night in an RV park.  The drive through the smokies was beautiful, and a lot of folks were visiting the park!


Dollywood theme park is just outside of Pigeon Forge, and I decided to go take a look.  It was kind of like visiting Disneyland for only an hour or so; the price of parking and admission made each of these photos and video clips rather expensive.

Visitors posing for group pictures in front of the Dollywood sign:




It seemed that quite a few school groups were at Dollywood celebrating the end of the school year.  My travel trailer was parked among a fleet of school buses!




Some of the visitors hopped on the first train ride of the day.  It runs at the top of every hour.









Dollywood includes many amusement park rides.  The roller coasters are very popular!



Back on the road after Dollywood:

I filled up my truck with the cheapest diesel that I've come across on my road trip at a Walmart in the Knoxville area.



Arrived at Seven Points Campground about 1/2 hour from Nashville:



I spent most of a day walking around Nashville checking out some of the famous attractions, historic buildings, and street art.

Some of the other tourists saw the city riding on Segways.  This group is passing the Hard Rock Cafe across from the Cumberland River Riverfront Park.



Flood level marker in the park along the Cumberland River.  In the background is a replica of Fort Nashborough that preceded settlement and the City of Nashville.


1937 Metropolitan Courthouse




Printer's Alley, a center of evening entertainment



1840s Downtown Presbyterian





I took a "self guided" tour of the Ryman Auditorium that became widely known when it became home to the Grand Ole Opry



The price of admission includes a photo of yourself on stage.  I passed on that opportunity!





After touring Ryman Auditorium I was ready for lunch and chose a Beastie Boy sandwich at Rae's Gourmet Sandwich Shoppe on Union Street: Roast Pork, Corn, Cheese, & Bacon with Zapp's Voodoo chips on the side.



Hermitage Hotel


Christ Episcopal Church constructed 1887 - 1892


First Baptist Church, newer building with tower from 1880s original structure


1877 US Customs House building (now private office space)


Tennessee State Capitol and War Memorial buildings face War Memorial Plaza






























Comments

  1. I got a little behind on your trip but have caught up. North Carolina and Tennessee both look most interesting. Love the architecture. And your family visit seemed like a really good time. Glad Jan was able to join you! And I'm glad you went to. Dollywood, even if it wasn't part of the original plan. I mean really, Dollywood!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like there is a lot of history in Nashville. Did you hear any music while there?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dollywood really did look like a little Disneyland. I enjoyed the video clip of the train there--seven passenger cars--I counted them! Great pictures around Nashville. The Grand Ole Opry didn't look like what I imagined.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment